Saturday, October 18, 2008

Home sweet home


Thanks for all of the kudos on the new kitchen. It turned out exactly the way we imagined it. The process however didn't. We (well, M is the 'we', but I DO all the painting and knob installing) are normally do it yourselfer's, but realized quickly that this was going to be out of our league so we decided to hire a contracting company. Big mistake. We went with a company who does alot of homes around here. We talked to some of them and they seemed to be satisfied, and without any major mishaps. The beginning of the project started out smooth. Demo of the kitchen started and everything was ripped out to the studs. YAY. Right after everything was ripped out, the crew didn't show up for three days. On the third day M called our contractor to see what was up. Our contractor acted surprised and said he would see what was up and would call me right back. Two days later he finally me calls back. Supposedly the forman on our crew was ill, and he would resume work the next day. The next day turned into two weeks of no crew (he was not ill afterall we found out). Enter the second crew. They were on the job, however our contractor would not have the materials here for them to get the job done with. They get sick of it and walk off the job. Elapsed time 6 weeks and a demo'd kitchen/living/dining room. It took a very heated, read SCREAMING ARGUMENT BETWEEN M and our contractor for him to get his shit together and get crack-a-lakin on our job. In the end M told him either he stap on his bags and personally get his ass out here to finish our job or he was fired. Miraculously, he was on the job the next day with bags on. Problem after problem incurred and many a heated discussion later we ended up basically finishing the project ourselves by painting and installing the sink fixture, the garbage disposal and air switch, which were going to take weeks for him to finish himself. I JUST WANTED TO COOK IN MY KITCHEN is that too much to ask? In a nutshell our contractor was clueless, hotheaded, incapable, and a straight up DICK. It got to the point where I could not deal with him because he was so rude and condescending towards me, therefore I would dish it back twofold and I hate talking to another person that way. I didn't need that stress so I had to have M deal with him, which wasn't even better.

Anyway, it is done and he is out of our hair. Believe me I have letters drafted to his company, the BBB*, and the state licensing board along with pictures of some of the work that was shotty and unacceptable (that we fixed because we couldn't trust him to fix).

In a nutshell we are staying do it yourselfers, as sometimes you think you are paying for knowledge and you end up with someone CLUELESS.

Oh, and to answer a question about the countertops. I really wanted soapstone, but with the plumbing and electrical being twice as much because of their age and condition had to be completely replaced, the extra cost ended up coming out of my countertop budget. So, I searched for something less expensive but would still give me the look of soapstone. I went with C0rian and I am so glad I did. The dark grey on the island is called "Earth" and it totally gives a similar look of soapstone. The white C0rian around the perimeter of the kitchen cabinets looks like a natural marble (I forget the name of it). I was afraid of it looking fake or plasticky, but I was pleasantly surprised that it looks amazing.

3 COMMENTS:

wzgirl said...

Oh we could swap stories. Cool thing is that time creates distance from the trauma.

Anonymous said...

I hate crackpot workers.

Yoli said...

I am sorry it took so much grief. The kitchen is lovely and I am sure you will enjoy it with your loved ones. Make sure you follow up on sending those letters. He should not do this to other people who might not be as handy as you guys. That inexcusable.