Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The namer of Names

This flower is called the Tigerlily or for the botanists the Lilium philadelphicum. I have always loved this lily along with the various other lilies. I remember seeing Peter Pan as a child and was in awe of the beautiful indian princess named Tigerlily. I have always loved this name. Then Michael Hutchence from INXS named his daughter Tigerlily and it became my all time favorite name.
During our adoption process I have referred to our little one as Tigerlily. Codename Tigerlily. My blog and our Breast Cancer 3-Day team is called Operation Tigerlily. Ask anyone what her name is and they will tell you Tigerlily. At first it started out as a way to put shock on the face of my mother when I would tell her that her newest Granddaughter would have the name Tigerlily. Just the thought of my mother telling the Alpine Heights Ladies her new grandbabys name was Tigerlily, cracked my ass up. But guess what? It is sticking, it works, I love it. We do however have some other names we are considering, but I want to see her face before I bestow such a conversation worthy name on the child. So that my friends is the story behind Tigerlily.

5 COMMENTS:

Anne Marie said...

I love it, and I love that fiery starburst of a flower! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

"M2" said...

That too is my absolute favorite flower


and.....you last comment is straight over my head...
I'm getting dense.

Alana said...

wonderful name. I think it's awesome, and even better since it means something to you.
Lizzie has a family name, and the new baby will have family name, as far as hubby is ocncerned, (his fav. gramma was Ann,) I am naming her Anne..with an E after Anne Shirley form the Green Gables books.Sadly I cant convince hubby to let me name her Anne Shirley..he wants Anne Mei..but I have a while to work on him.

Snowflowers Mum said...

I LOVE IT! We actually thought of it way in the beginning of our first adoption, I tired Tigerlily on my DH, he said it's cool but no, then I tried just Tiger, but it also got vetoed, it wasnt quite as tropical. We settled on Piper Lily, and our next daughter will be Paisley, so I'm giving you the big thumbs up on Tigerlily, how amazing!

Hayley

Headmeister said...

Delurking to say that I love the name!

BTW - I'm LID 12-29-06, so there's a chance I might get to see Lil' Miss Tigerlily myself, in China :)

Be well,
Heather
www.diggingaholetochina.com