Monday, November 12, 2007

Victory at sea

I did it. I walked 20 miles a day for three days all in the name of Boobie Cancer. To say this is a life changing event is an understatement. When I signed up for the 3-Day I did it as an aversion to a never ending wait for my daughter, something to get my mind off of the adoption and maybe loose a few pounds and get into better shape. Who knew I would join a team of 18 walker chicks who would be there to support each other, give a hug when we were tired, wrap your blistered feet, and pour you glass of Chardonnay at the end of the day. To my Beach Babes I will never forget this experience we shared together. What I got out of this weekend was something I will never forget. It was hard. It wasn't fun at times, especially at the part where my feet felt like they were on fire and I had to walk a mile up a hill. I'm not going to lie, there were tears. But walking through that finish line and seeing my hubby and my boys standing there with smiles on their faces, beaming with pride, telling me how proud they were of me made everything I went through worth it. Their mom did it.

So it is that day after the walk and I feel like I gave birth through my feet, but ask me if I would do it again and I would be crazy enough to say......yes.


Me, My MIL (a 4 year breast cancer survivor), and my SIL leaving at 5:15am

Cars lining the streets honking, people thanking us for walking

We walked and we walked and then we walked some more

Yes, those are my feet, and yes that is a blister and not a 6th toe


The very cute bike cops in pink shirts who kept us safe and were always there with music and encouragement

We walk because we believe

Our cheerleader

WE DID IT!!!!!!!!


17 COMMENTS:

New Territory said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
walternatives said...

I am so terrifically proud of you, woman. The Goober and I are honored to have been one of your sponsors. Thank you for giving us that opportunity - truly, you are an inspiration.

Heartfelt congratulations on your dedication and finishing that daunting, hard-fought walk. Wow! 20 miles! Here's hoping you can rest those hard-working tootsies for the next few weeks. xo

Alana said...

You are so awesome Lisa! I got teary reading your post. My Grammy, who passed away last month, was a Breast Cancer survivor. Thay gave her 6 months to live 6 months before I was born. I am so proud of you! You ROCK!!

Mamacita said...

Oh my god. That blister is disgusting! I'm so sorry! I bet it hurts worse now. I'm really proud of you though! You did it! And for a great cause! I get my first mamogram in 2 weeks. I'll think of you while they're fondling and squishing my boobs.

Maia said...

Ouch! And BRAVO!!!!
That is so incredibly cool.

"M2" said...

snookums......I'm so very proud of you
that blister is a war wound
wear it with pride
bet it does hurt like a bitch.

aimeeg said...

You are seriously the coolest chic ever. I'm so proud of you, and my boobies thank you too.

wzgirl said...

Oh what a FEELING!! Congrats, woman. Big ol' Props to you & your Pink Posse. I am very proud. XO

kitchu said...

That is SO awesome, you must feel SO good (despite the foot pain)- there is nothing like it, is there? I mean crossing that finish line, knowing you did something for an incredible cause. Kudos to you my friend!

A Mom- In-W8ing said...

Wow! You go girl!! Admirable display of selflessness! Boobies around the world are saluting you!

I hope your toe is feeling better soon.

Smiles! :o)
Nikki

Michele said...

This is a great thing you've done. You have every right to be proud of yourself. Weare your boo-boos with pride.

Yoli said...

God bless you, what a beautiful thing to do.

insanemommy said...

Way to go girl!!!

Anonymous said...

Look at the sexiness there. I am glad you did this.

4D said...

Congrats!!! What an amazing experience. Worth the horrific blisters.

Keep smilin!

Christine said...

Great Work! What a great accomplishment. Isn't it amazing how much MORE you get back when you give time, money or love? Proud of ya!

Diane said...

Congrats on a great accomplishment!