Tuesday, October 23, 2007

My city is on fire

As some as you might know I live in San Diego and our fine city is a burning, giant piece of kindling right now. We been on evacuation watch for two days now. We have not had to evacuate our home yet and we are hopeful that the fire that is West North West of us will be contained or hopefully be put out before it makes it's way here. We have our important papers and photo albums packed in the car, but so far so good. As for the air quality it is awful, like really bad. They advised us not to go outside and if you do you need to wear masks. We use respirator masks at our shop, so we have been handing out masks to all of our neighbors and anyone who needs them. I have asthma and it has been really bad for me, my lungs feel like they are full of boulders and my throat feels like sandpaper. All schools in S.D. County are closed for the rest of the week so I am taking off tomorrow morning for Arizona to visit my parents, kind of an impromptu visit/clean air mission. The hubby is staying home to hold down the fort and working, I think he is crazy for staying, but he wants to make sure the house is going to be OK and it beats having to travel with 2 dogs and a cat. Over 500,000 residents have been evacuated from their homes (I hope we don't have to make it 500,004). We know people that have been evacuated and some that have lost their homes. It is so very tragic and I am at a loss for words for what has happened. I just have to say that I am so proud of my city, our evacuation sites have had so many donations they had to turn them away. Where else but San Diego would you find Massage therapists, accupuncture, manicure, pedicure, crisis teams, medical teams, clowns making balloon animals, yoga classes, unlimited food and water, and safe place to sleep in an evacuation center. Only, my San Diego.

Taken about 2pm today, when the sun is usually the brightest, the picture doesn't do it's justice the sun was a bright orange/fushia. An erie sight.

The view from my kitchen window, this is when the wind picked up a little and there was a bit more visibility, but 15 minutes later you could not see the palm tree in the middle of the photo

The ash is everywhere

San Diego Chic

We are getting used to our new gear.

13 COMMENTS:

Mamacita said...

You guys look so sexy in those masks....I'm not kidding. Totally cute! Have a safe trip and I'll pray your home stays safe.

J said...

Wow. How very scary. Safe travels & good luck!

M and M said...

Holy SUPER SCARY. Drive safe, be safe and keep in touch!!

Anonymous said...

Get to Arizona. Asap

4D said...

It nutso scary! Take care and drive safely.

Keep smilin!

Andrew Goerke said...

We are praying for you

A fellow dec dtc member

Yoli said...

I am so sorry. That is terrifying. Please be safe.

Maia said...

I feel so bad for you guys, and for San Diego, which is a town I love. Be safe.

insanemommy said...

Those mask may be the latest trend. Be safe.

Cavatica said...

SCARRRRY! Get safe and keep in touch!

Diane said...

Hope you and family are ok. Keep us posted.

walternatives said...

Y'all have been in my thoughts for days now. I've been out of town and have been hoping you were, too. Good to see you're in AZ.

A Mom- In-W8ing said...

Terrifying! I hope you are all safe and sound. Update when you can.

Smiles! :o)
Nikki