Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Fits of Rage and Lent



Let's start with the fun one, shall we? If someone else asks me WHY we don't adopt domestically (the US) I seriously will start ripping lips. First of all, is it YOUR business WHERE my child comes from? Secondly, IF there are SO MANY children that need homes in the United States, then WHY don't you get YOUR ass to the nearest Social Worker/Attorney/Adoption Agency and get your process started to adopt or become a foster parent? I'm not being harsh, people, I HAVE adopted domestically. I am one of the biggest advocates for domestic adoption and foster care. This time around I chose to adopt from China for reasons that only matter to me. It just really gets SO annoying when you are talking about your adoption process and then you are stopped dead in the middle of your adoption story and are asked the same question OVER and OVER. I am tired of 'defending' my decision, tired of defending China and the horrible wait, and tired of people who would rather talk about our children in crisis here in the US, but then do absolutely nothing about it. I am about to embark on a volunteer mission with a child advocacy group for children in the foster care system. I will be a liaison between the child and their social worker and the court system. Yes, there is a ton of children in foster care who need forever families and I am the biggest cheerleader for these children. But how come when a volunteer who has a bio child, they are not asked the question "Why did you decide to HAVE a child when there are so many children who need homes in the US?". Funny, this question never comes up.

**Rant over**

Breathe.
Namaste.



Now on to Lent. What does a good Catholic girl who darkens the doorstep of mass once a decade do for Lent? She gives up $tarbucks. I have, since Fat Tuesday, not had a grande nonfat vanilla latte. Not one. It's been rough. I didn't give it up for the caffeine as I was not an everyday user of the latte. I was in it for the sugary, vanilla goodness. The reason I gave it up was the cost. I would hit 'buck's about every other day and maybe once on the weekend. I figured it out that I was spending quite a wad of cash each week. When I figured it out cost wise, I was spending $15.90 per week on the elixir of the stupid. That is $62.40 per month. That is $748.80 per year. What the EFF was I thinking? So, I have taken that $15.90 and rounded it up to $25.00 per week and I have it automatically deposited each week in my Tigerlily fund. I will admit it. I miss my latte. For me home made coffee and flavored creamers just don't have the same yum factor. I will take one for the team for my little girl.

18 COMMENTS:

Mamacita said...

When people ask me what I want for Christmas and my birthday, I say "nothing says love like a Starbucks gift card." They're putting one in our supermarket. I'm doomed.

wzgirl said...

You mentioned that you were tired of defending China & the horrible wait....just curious, how were you defending it? I'd love to hear it as I have no defense for it.

A well meaning friend called today to toss about "alternatives" with me. One of them being surrogacy - I asked if his 20something daughter was available seeing as she is both brilliant and beautiful.

Nosie peeps...sigh.

Yoli said...

Love this post. I am so sick and tired of the same shit. I feel your anger because it is mine too.

As to the Starbucks situation I have no answer. I am weak and stupid and will forever make them rich.

Juliette said...

I can definitely understand your frustration about annoying and stupid questions and comments on the adoption. I just answer, we don't know, we don't know over and over now, until people drop it.

As for Starbucks, I did give up 2 years ago for lent and it was a torture as we had one at the cafeteria at work.
I feel bad too to spend so much money in this little pleasure when I could use it in a better way. Since that lent I am now down to 1 once a week or every 2 weeks. And they taste even better...

Michele said...

Wow! You go girl. That is one strong indulgance to give up for Lent. I gave up my favorite Vanilla Chai's from Dunkin Donuts, but way before Lent even starte because they discontinued them. UGGG! I love my morning coffee but I sure miss my sometimes afternoon treat.

Snowflowers Mum said...

firstly on the RANT..amen sister!

secondly, on the Starbucks...oh dear god, am I spending THAT MUCH MONEY on coffee?? yes...I am. must stop.

thridly, NEVER use the word 'latte' around Maia!

Hayley

waitingformaddie said...

HUMMM I seem to get the "well isn't there something you can do" UHH NO it is not our government... Hubby has gotten very good at stopping the sentances before they are finished and redirecting the conversation b/c he is afraid that my head will start to do a 360..

I am with Sweet Ps mum. I never calculated it. And it is our secret do not tell hubby how much I spend OK :)

kitchu said...

I hear you on the rant, babe. And I loved your comment of bio kids- I'll have to remember that if I'm in need of a stinging retort one day.

I go to mass every week. I am failing miserably at Lent. That's par for the course. My goal was to give something up (like you) and then give the money i would have spent to someone in greater need... but I suck.

One of our priests keeps saying that it doesn't matter when Lent begins, just begin it...

D & S said...

I hear ya! It's so annoying having to defend our decision to so many people who just don't get it. If people truly believe in domestic adoption, then they should go ahead and do it and not question someone else's decisions.

Michele said...

I have tagged you!

Cavatica said...

I'm surprised I haven't been asked that question.

Give up iced coffee? Nevah! Of course, I do mix in McD's to keep costs down.

Maia said...

It's lent?

Maia said...

no. no, i can't.
don't ask me to.
i can't give up my starbucks.
i'd rather starve.

Maia said...

btw, happens to me, too. Happened to me just this morning. I think I'm so over it that I'm over it. I didn't even get worked up this time. And, my husband took over and stood up for our China decision. So that was nice. Let someone else deal with it.

Maia said...

And finally - Hayley's right. I can't stand the word "latte". But I won't hold it against anyone.

insanemommy said...

For what it's worth this is what I say when anyone (nosey asses) inquire about why China. I tell them without hesitation how the laws in the U.S. Do. Not. Protect. The. Adoptive. Parent's. I couldn't stand the thought that the system could take my baby from me. With China I never had to worry about that. They're my babies and no one elses. As an added sting I ask them if they were considering domestic adoption?! Shuts them up in thier tracks.

insanemommy said...

I was a star whore too. Every. Day. Until I realized what I was spending. Whew. Made me puke. A lot of money.. I do treat myself occassionally.

Debra said...

Just found your blog through another and couldn't resist putting my 2 cents in on the defending adoption decisions....we are going domestic and still we have to defend that against all the waiting babies all over the world.....I guess people not in the adoption arena just can't reconcile themselves either way!!