Monday, August 25, 2008

I'm a bonafied grown up

That's right. A GROWN UP. I have high schoolers. Back in the day you were an old hag in polyester pants and a bouffant hairdo if you had kids in high school. Well, bust out the poly's and Aqua Net, 'cause I'm one of them now. They are in high school. I am tripped out in every sense of the word. I think today was even harder than the first day of kindergarten. At least in kindergarten they would let me walk them to class, slap some mom spit on their freshly combed hair, and even let me plant a little kiss on them before sending them into the classroom into the arms of a loving teacher with colorful butterflies on the walls. Sending them off to high school is very different let me tell you. Your kid muster a "I already said good morning, mom. Can I have some lunch money and I need a check for PE clothes".

Then it's off to the car where I had to bribe the kid with his lunch money for a picture of he and his brother together on their first day of high school. This is the best I could get and I wasn't in the mood to get a better shot at 7 am in the morning (and if you will notice Twin engine in the yellow The Clash tee is glasses free. He got fitted for his very first pair of contact lenses on Saturday. The kid is uber stoked) So, we get to the school and the parking lot is gridlock. Seniors in their beat up VW's, Toyota's and pop's cast off Buick Le Sabre's and new 9th grade moms in gigantic SUV's such as myself, effing up the drop off line. Good times. We get up to the head of the line, the boy's jump out and yell "Later, Mom!". Soon they are swept into the sea of mangy high school students. They're gone. It is anticlimactic. They have walked into young manhood in a split second. This is much harder than I expected. I am certain sending them off to college will take me to full breakdown mode complete with me holding on to their ankles as they enter the school.

Now, onto Mi Casa.............. (a GROWN UP'S casa, may I add)

Cabinets are in
(Kinda hard to see but, check out that sunset!)

Another view

Flooring is going in right now as I type. Appliances should go in this week as well and countertop will be going in the week after that (hopefully). Nothing ever goes as planned, so I will see a finished kitchen when I see it. I am SO ready for this to be over. My contractor is a dick. He messed up a cabinet and refused to replace it. That's OK, I am taking it out of my last payment. So there Mr. Dickhead. Other than that we should be on the home stretch with this project. We have another phase to do (the master bedroom) and we have decided to put it off for a while.

Aye Dios Mi.



11 COMMENTS:

walternatives said...

It's hard to believe this post - your kids are in high school AND the kitchen is nearly finished? Wow.

Congrats on both accomplishments; your new kitchen is awesome.

kitchu said...

I wanna live in your kitchen.

Weird to think of you in polyester and using Aqua Net. Your HS kids look pretty happy to be in HS.

My niece (who I swear was 3 yesterday) successfully navigated campus today and found all of her classes.

First year college. HOLY poop.

Anonymous said...

What a room!
Those kids look awesome.

wzgirl said...

I thought that was a Clash t shirt. And, Metallica - nice. Here's to the Twin Engines!!

Wouldja look at those BOYS!! (I mean, men). Wow.

Wouldja look at that kitchen?? More Wow! The ceiling *is* slanted - I thought so. Looks extremely killer. These projects take wayyy longer than you'd ever expect & thats just the way it is. Soon your hot pot will be banished from the house & you'll really be cookin' with gas!

Good on ya - all around. xo

D & S said...

I love, love, love your kitchen!!! It's beautiful!

Congrats on the boys moving onto the next phase of growing up. They look pretty calm and collected.

Mamacita said...

That post almost made me cry. I drop Sugarlips off at Kindergarten next week.

Your kitchen looks fabu!

J said...

That kitchen is GORGEOUS! I have a bad case of kitchen-envy going on.

The boys are adorable too. I'm sure they'll love hearing that.

Heather said...

The kitchen looks great! I can't wait to see the finished product.

And your boys look so happy to be hitting the big time.

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

I am loving the look of your kitchen... that is exactly what I need... best talk to hubby about that... take care

Maia said...

Wow, looking awesome!!

We saw a guy in China wearing a retro-80s neon orange T-shirt with "Rockin' Awesome" printed in huge black letters. That's my new highest level of praise. Rockin' awesome.

Yoli said...

Those two are so handsome. Amazing how fast they grow. I will be like you, holding on to ankles crying as they enter College.

Your kitchen is lovely, so big. Mine fits into one your cabinets! I am sorry you are having such problems with the contractor.