Friday, February 2, 2007

Gag Master Flash

Monday I got my braces off after a year and a half of having these dental torture devices put on. I am so happy to have them off. I can now eat without stratigically placing a napkin over my mouth, bite into an apple, and talk to someone without offering them a rain slicker and umbrella. Its great, however, NOW I have a retainer or the 'gagger' which I have decided to call it. UGGGHHHH. Why was I born with the gag reflex of a heroin addict going through withdrawl. Right after my ortho appointment, I had to stop by the market (o.k. AND the drugstore to pick up some Crest White Strips), to pick up some things. When I was checking out the checker struck up a conversation about the sourdough bread I was buying. When I tried to speak I would muster up 3 words and then "HHHOOOORRRKKKK". Luckily my trusty companion Reed had my back and told her I just got my braces off and was not used to my retainer yet. Cut to 4 days later and I'm getting used to having this thing in my mouth without gagging. If this is what morning sickness is all about all I have to say is NO THANK YOU and Thank God we adopt.

4 COMMENTS:

Anonymous said...

Do you feel the indentation in your lips? I still have it. You probably have groovy teeth now.

walternatives said...

Congratulations! Do not put your retainer in your front pocket. Ever.

Anne Marie said...

Congrats! I also have a terrible gag reflex -- My sweaty palms soak through about 5 kleenexes that I grab onto for dear life every time I go to the dentist.

I hope you get used to the retainer. I had braces as a teen and didn't wear it the appropriate length of time. Mostly my teeth stayed in place, but not entirely.

insanemommy said...

Funny! I wore braces 3 times (true) and ended up having jaw surgery to try to correct what it was they thought they could do with braces. Got them off the last time at 30. I'm right there with you on the gag reflex. I gag if someone else is gaging! Funny.