Thursday, March 1, 2007

I heart my Band Geeks


The boys are in concert band at school. Conner plays trombone and Reed plays clarinet. Tonight they had a festival concert and they did great! It is so cute and funny to see them oh, so spiffy in their crisp white shirt, black tie, black dress pants and scraggly, shaggy surfer boy hair. It's a pretty funny sight because fifty percent of the boys in the band look exactly the same way. Other than the music, the best part was Conner's socks. He could only find one of his black dress socks (unbeknown st to me), so, Einstein, had the brilliant idea to wear one black dress sock and one white sock (the black socks are required, so at least one is better than none, right?). During the concert the only thing you could focus on was the solo white sock. Only my kid. But, honestly, I would not change these moments for the world. This is one of the many perks of being a parent. Children are funny, just too damn funny. I crack up daily at the things they say and do, and believe me they do many. Like the time when we were walking to our car in the school parking lot and Reed (I think he was in 3rd grade) was talking to his teacher about surfing and she asked him if he liked to go surfing with his dad and Reed says "Yes, we go surfing on the weekends but we couldn't go this weekend because my dad drank too much duh-geela (tequila) at his birthday party and he had the barfs". Um, yeah, did I mention he attended a very uptight Catholic School and his teacher was a nun? I did, however hear through the grapevine that she was known to throw back a pint or two of Guinness after the Epihany Program. I wonder if she ever got the barfs?

2 COMMENTS:

Anne Marie said...

That kid cracks me up too! I'm sure they both would!

walternatives said...

So Connor was sitting down, then? I bet it was way obvious. But I understand his logic.