Friday, June 6, 2008

Progress

Demo on the kitchen went down this week. FINALLY some progress in this ongoing remodel mess. It is so cool to come home from work and see my old delapatated kitchen (or the "cooking closet" that I called it) being ripped down to the studs.


This is a before demo photo. Notice the amazing amount of counter space I have had to work with. Goodbye 1950's.



This is what I came home to. HELLS YEAH! Cabinets, gone. Counters, gone. Brick cooktop, gone. I am assuming that in the 1950's they didn't think to put water and electrical BEHIND the walls (or the builder who built this house didn't). Its a joke. The plumber laughed his ass off and I think I saw dollar signs in his eyes.



Buh-bye brick. The funny thing about this brick is when I first looked at this house I LOVED the brick. I loved how the oven was built into the brick and how it was old and rustic looking. Well, if I would have looked closer I would have noticed that the size of the oven was only fit to cook for Hobbits. This is the smallest oven I have ever seen. I had to buy special small cookie sheets to use in it. The other side of the brick is/was our fireplace. When using it you had to pick whether you wanted to be warm or you wanted smoke inhalation. No bueno.




All brick, GONE. Wood floors, soon to be beautiful bamboo flooring, GONE. Look at the dinky hot water heater, soon to be replaced with energy efficient tankless water heaters



That small window will be replaced with an eight foot window to maximize our view and let in tons of light.

As much as I am excited to see stuff happening, living in a construction zone blows. We have a makeshift kitchen with a Rubbermaid container of food and a microwave. The fridge is all the way across the house so eating here takes stamina and a travel guide. We have been eating out since Sunday. I am already sick of eating out of styrofoam container on my lap while sitting in a beach chair.


7 COMMENTS:

wzgirl said...

Dude!!!!!!!! That is excellent. Great pics, I love seeing the horror of it all. And, I do remember the whole fridge in the dining room - we even lost our sink & had to wash stuff in the bathroom.

Yes, the folks at our local Greek Diner really got to know us. Going there now always triggers the remodel memories.

Good luck. xo

Maia said...

Wow! Look at all that space! The big view is going to make all the difference. Can't wait to see the result!

Mamacita said...

Wow! What a great thing! Keep taking progress shots. I love that stuff! I can't wait to see what you picked out!

P.S. Plumbers always see dollar signs in their eyes....because their wives need new shoes....all the time.....

P.P.S. You'll have to tell me how you feel about the tankless water heaters when this is all done. Plumber-man is not impressed when putting them in large houses because we cannot run recirq lines which prevent you from standing there and wasting gallons of water waiting for it to get up to temp. Water is the commodity here so he doesn't like it when the system wastes. BUT if yours is going in the same spot, its not a long run to the kitchen sink!

"M2" said...

I thought I was the only one with a hobbit oven space.
I actually have a double oven......new
because it's the only way I can fit 2 pans in it.

people see it and think I must be a serious cook
but pans need to go in sideways it's so narrow.

everything I have original was built for hobbits

too funny........wish I could gut mine.

can't wait to see the finished product

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I can't wait to see the finished kitchen.....I love before and afters....I am totally addicted to HG.TV!

The house we lived in before this one, was a remodel....it was a lot of hard work....but so worth it in the end.....Good Luck!

Lisa

Christine said...

HOw neat to see the transformation of your kitchen. I liked your comments about loving the brink but changing tastes. We noticed the same with us- big yards to city yards, lots of landscaping to easy to manage bushes, wall paper to no wallpaper, etc. Different tastes for different stages of life. My last one will be a padded room:)

Karrie said...

Cant wait to see it complete. I took the drywall down as well to add electical and a second sink. The plug in burner saved us going out as much and an electic skillet.
Karrie