Friday, June 27, 2008

Reno update

I guess you could call this progress since the last time I posted. We should be further along than we are, but due to Ms. Dickwhipper (me), I had one crew taken off the job due to their lack of showing up and had our Contractor hire a crew that actually wanted to work and since he would like to get paid he decided to put a crew on the job that is actually motivated to work. The new crew is awesome and the foreman actually had some better ideas on how to tackle the Great Ceiling Debacle (you don't want to know, UGH.). Plus he understands when I call stuff, plug thingy's, lightling doo-whoppy's, and chinga's. He gets me.

My BFF's husband is an amazing finish carpenter and we had him replace all of the interior doors, closet doors, all door casings, crown and base mouldings in the entire house. Can I just say how much doing this makes everything look brand new?? I love the look of these new doors.

This is the home of the new fireplace, it will be flush with the wall and supposedly is able to heat the entire house with only a few logs or these post consumer material pellets. Cost effective and environmentally friendly. I'm down with that.

This is the new archway going into the new dining room. My hubby doesn't like it and he says it's a waste of 12 inches. Geez, does he think this is HIS house too or something. The arch is staying. I like it, actually I love it, it will give the space a more formal, intimate feel. Those doors in the corner will house my "office" or built-in desk area. It is a pretty large closet so it will serve a purpose. Finish carpenter is on the job and I know it will look stunning when he is finished.

The new french doors in the dining room that were installed the wrong way. Moving the table and all of the chairs when opening up the doors is out of the question. Foreman on the first crew thought that it would be an okay way to open the doors. I said "Umm, yeah...NO". They will be switched next week. What the EFF was he thinking? Even I with no construction experience knows that they would need to swing out.

I found an old newspaper in the wall dated January 28, 1966. It is interesting to see what was going on at that time. The photos and the cartoons were hilarious.

1 COMMENTS:

Maia said...

Very cool to see the progress...and I love that old newspaper! I was born in '64 and have a lot of nostalgia for that era, the first era of my consciousness.
When I was a kid we had a ranch in S. Colo. with a cabin from the 1800s...the walls on the staircase were papered with newspapers! They were perfectly preserved because of the dry climate. So cool! We left them up.