Monday, August 20, 2007

Back to School and the Weekend

Can you believe it is back to school already? Zoinks! 8th grade, the boys are starting 8th grade. It is so hard to comprehend, but I will deal. They were ready to get back to school, it gets kinda boring and you can only go to the beach so many times and they have seen almost every movie at the cinema, so I guess it's a good thing that school starts so much earlier now. However, for me the lazy days of summer are O-VER. Back to early, early morning wake-ups, morning traffic, always having dollar bills in my wallet for lunch money and mounds of homework.

Had an awesome weekend. Saturday, I took my mom to see Wicked at the Pantages Theater for her birthday. She. Loved. it. I saw it in May in New York and knew she would be crazy for it. The L.A. Elphaba was just as good as N.Y. Elphaba, her voice was incredible. L.A. Glinda was good but not as good as N.Y. Glinda. L.A. Fiyero was terrible. I am not one to carry a tune from one end of the room to another, so I am not an expert on singing by any means, but homeboy was totally off key and reminded me of some of the rejects from American Idol. We ate near the theater at this cute little bistro named Magnolia. I had a salad that was soooooooo good. It was frise greens with chicken, apples, candied walnuts, gorganzola cheese tossed with a white balsamic vinegarette. Oh, it was really good. I am SO making it for dinner tonight.

Sunday, I made appointments at the day spa for Mark and I to have massages. Mark has never had a massage before and was pooh-pooh-ing the whole idea, but he went anyway. Well, wouldn't you know it, my husband is now a massage convert, he loved it. Oh my dog, can I tell you how good I feel right now? My masseuse worked out every knot and tense spot in my entire body. She even manipulated each toe. I think I drooled at one point. The best thing I learned from her was a new way to sleep. I have been having neck problems and terrible headaches so she asked me to show her how I sleep. I am a side sleeper and I guess I am doing some really bad pretzel pose when I sleep. She showed me how to use all sorts of pillows and where to put my arm so I don't wake up all tweaked. I tried it last night and I feel really good so we will see if this new sleeping position works for the neck and headaches.

11 COMMENTS:

Alana said...

yeah.. I don't get massages very often because not only do I drool..copiously, but I make really liud grunting and groaning noise. Tres embarassing!
We saw WICKED in NY this feb, and I love it so! It will be in Utah 2009, and I am SO going again! I love MUSICALS!!!

Jenni said...

A spa day sounds great, if only I could talk DH into it.

aimeeg said...

Oh, I so want a massage now.

8th grade is a good year. Not quite high school yet, but kings of the middle school/junior high. Still kids, I promise you.

"M2" said...

I had one massage
I don't really like being touched
I laughed so hard.... got the giggles... she had to stop which made me laugh even harder.
that was the end of that.... her feet were hysterical with my head through that little face hole on the table.

Elizabeth said...

Hey we both used Zoinks in our posts today! Do you have Scooby Do playing in your house all the time too?
Love the photo, damn you're hot.
Funny about the massage convert hubby, sounds exactly like something my hubby would do.

D & S said...

I have two gift certificates for Spa Day's. I have to get my act together and make it there soon. I feel like I'm ready to go postal.

Unknown said...

Wow! We loved Wicked..Would love to fly somewhere one weekend to check it out but its coming back in 2009 here. It was awesome

Holy cow, you ahve been busy

insanemommy said...

I love, love, love spa days. I was just thinking it's been a while since I really treated myself...... Thanks for reminding me. Sounds like a little piece of heaven.

Diane said...

I think my husband and I are going to have a spa day next weekend. I'm looking forward to it!

The boys are in 8th grade, huh? I think there is no worse year than 8th grade. At least for girls, maybe boys are better. But good luck with that!

Anne Marie said...

J and I went for a spa day when we got back from our honeymoon (only 3 years ago) -- it was his first and he LOVED it. He had had massages before, but never a full spa experience.

Sounds like a great weekend!

Yoli said...

Oh I love the picture! I love musicals too.