Sunday, August 5, 2007

My romantic evening


The boys have a birthday party sleepover last night so we figured it would be a great date night. We get ready and drop the boys off a their friends' house and since we were by Costco, I suggested that since we were right there and we needed dog food we could stop in and get some (I hate buying the 500 lb bags and cans of dog food and schleppping it to my car, so when I've got a nice strapping lad in the car will take full advantage). We pull into Costco with 20 minutes to closing and get the dog's food. We see the fish monger and decided to scrap the restaurant and get some lobster tails to grill at home, plus the fact that there were no good movies playing except for The Bourne Whateveristcalled, and it was sold out until the 10:20PM showing. Yessssssssss LOBSTER! I get some yummy fruit, nice crusty bread and a pricey bottle of wine. We check out (after my husband calls the bagger boy, Sparky) and head home. We pour some wine and turn on the Padre game (not my idea) and grill the lobsters. I light some candles and we sit down to eat. I notice Mark sweating and continually wiping his brow. I ask him what is wrong, he's like "I don't know my stomach feels wonky". He tries to continue eating but continues to feel sick. I ask him what he had for lunch

MM: "I ate some Cabeza (head) and Lingua (tounge) tacos from Jimmy's (the mexi restaurant next to our shop) after surfing today"
Me: "Why did you eat THAT?"
MM: "Because they taste good"
Me: "Oh, yeah, that's good, now you have Malaria, Tapeworm or better yet, Mad Cow disease"
MM: "Remember that time I ate the 3 month old chicken in the fridge and just last week I ate that old chunky yogurt, I'll be OK" (Good God, I really need to be on top of the cleaning out of the fridge)

Not soon after he said chunky yogurt, he was blowing chunks in the bathroom. I proceeded to finish my wonderful meal by myself while my husband barfed up his toenails in the next room. After his involuntary stomach pumping he went to bed, while I watched decorating shows on TV.

This morning Iron Gut felt fine and headed off to the beach for dawn patrol and I am making lobster potato salad with my husbands lobster tail he couldn't eat for a BBQ we are going to later.

Wanna go on a date with me? I promise not to make you hurl.

***I am editing to add that as though it appears that my husband eats like a dumpster diver, he really does not. I tend to buy only healthy, organic food at home so when he's on his own he eats the weird stuff like the tacos you read about. Something tells me he'll do great in China.***

11 COMMENTS:

insanemommy said...

I'll gladly join you anytime. You buying? lol.

kitchu said...

Too late... I hurled reading the post. ;O)

aimeeg said...

So did you get lucky anyway?

Elizabeth said...

He sounds alot like my hubby. Eats anything "Iron Gut' he says.
Barfing up toe nails...funny. I'll have to use that one at work sometime (hospital).

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

Would I have to eat any fish?

Stephanie said...

As a frequent consumer of Costco seafood, I'm just glad it wasn't the lobster that made him sick :).

"M2" said...

OMG.........nasty taco
serves him right
quit eating tongues of anything

Elizabeth said...

PS all my hubby ever says about our trip to China is how he will eat a dog.
hurl

walternatives said...

Sparky. Sounds about right. I'm sorry about Iron Gut's episode, but I bet everyone loved the lobster potato salad.

Diane said...

I feel for him. There is nothing worse than food poisoning. The night after I got married in Mexico, I got deathly ill. And then so did my husband. It was really romantic, the two us running to the bathroom...

Mamacita said...

I mean honestly....who doesn't love cabeza and lengua tacos? De-lish!